I provide book production coaching to anyone intending to produce an illustrated (physical) book. The range of knowledge and skills involved in bringing a book into the world usually surprises people. I have never met a self-publisher, or anyone else involved in a book production project for the first* time, who said it had been easier and taken less time that they thought it would.
*or even the fiftieth
Without the right guidance any print project can cost you more than is necessary. Moreover, it can take a huge amount of time and be difficult and stressful to complete. Non-specialists in books often find they have knowledge gaps which hamper their efforts.
Fortunately, it is also hugely rewarding to have that book in your hands. As an end-product for any kind of creative project I think it really is hard to beat.
From two decades working in publishing companies and as an independant book production freelancer collaborating with creators I have huge experience and practical advice to share. I can help you tackle your project in the best way to help it run smoothly and make it achievable for you to savour that new book feeling when you get your hands of that first copy.
- Who needs book production coaching?
- How is the coaching delivered?
- Coaching topics
- Coaching packages
- Benefits of book production coaching
Who needs book production coaching?
As you have found your way to me I wouldn’t be surprised if you were one of these types:
- Photographer, illustrator or other type of creator in the graphic or visual arts
- Small or micro publisher without a production specialist on hand
- Self publishing service provider
- Business or institution outside the publishing world
- Design agency
- Marketer managing a book project
- Printer, repro company or other publishing-related vendor
The book could be a children’s story book, a collection of photography, art, illustraton, graphic design, biography or anything else. It’s subject matter or purpose could be anything at all. If it needs to be printed I expect to be able to coach you on the better ways to go about it.
How is the coaching delivered?
My standard offering for book production coaching is based around a phone conversation. Beforehand I consider any reference material you have so I am informed about your project before we speak. Having talked things over in more detail I provide written notes on the discussion. Afterwords I’ll put some things in writing. I will focus on suggestions, opinions, further reference sources or contact details you need to move you forward.
- Prior assessment, before we speak, of material related to your project. This could be visuals, pricing, specification details, technicalities or a description of a particular problem or challenge you are facing
- A phone call where we talk it over in more detail
- Written notes collecting my thoughts. I will collate and share any explanations, suggestions, contacts arising from our conversation
Click through to my one online shop (below) for more information on Coaching Calls and how to get started. Feel free to contact me, without any obligation, if you have any questions about my service.
Full disclosure: some project tools I have created for my own use and for clients, such as useful spreadsheets for different tasks, come at additional cost. If they appear relevant to your project these can be made available at a competitive rate for coaching clients.
Coaching call topics
The kind of ground we would cover might be on the list below. These are areas which are important in book production. They often come up.
- Finding a suitable printer or other kind of supplier for your book project
- Creating a book specification, obtaining accurate print pricing and comparing different options
- Calculating the overall cost of a print project. Deciding on the print run and selling price
- Working out a workable timescale for your project
- Understanding print and production terminology
- Preparing image and design files
- Proofing your images and preparing files for the printer
- Considering and choosing paper and other materials
Price as advertised is per session. Contact me to discuss book production coaching packages tailored to your situation. Some options could include:
- Pre-pay – for a number of sessions to be used over an agreed period. This would enable me to to guide your progress through the course of a project, perhaps.
- Retainer – email or phone support of an agreed amount per month
- Project Management – hands-on involvement in a particular aspect of your project. Examples could include obtaining print pricing and analysis, creating a project schedule, oversight of colour proofing
Benefits of book production coaching
I believe I add value to your project in a number of ways:
- Expert knowledge of the book production process and the ways in which cost and effort can be saved throughout
- Technical knowledge and the ways it can assure high quality in the preparation of your content
- Curated network of trusted pre-press and print suppliers and other professionals
- Demystify the process and helping you navigate it with confidence
- Provide accountability as you work through the process and be an understanding, thinking and planning partner in getting through it
You would, however, be ill-advised to try this without the help of a project and production manager; someone who knows all the intricacies of book production, the right printers and paper suppliers and a hundred and one other things. It’s knowledge that takes years to acquire. And in the UK, the go-to man is David Brimble.
Sign up to my newsletter for discounts, new products, freebies, products and news.